As I stared into the fully-stocked refrigerator with hunger pains, my lazy side began to curse my husband for being so proactive on getting the grocery shopping done. I was starving but I just couldn’t muster the energy to summon my inner Betty Crocker and really didn’t have much of an excuse not to – This rainy weather is killin’ my mojo!
I quickly started naming off what our lunch options were and luckily my three year old locked onto one of the easiest to make: Egg, cheese, salami and avocado sandwich – or as she calls it, the fancy egg sammich. We often make a simpler version around here for breakfast, but this one, all dressed up in it’s layers of salami and avocado, was perfect for brunch or breakfast all day!
I certainly didn’t want a boring lunch meat sandwich so I was cool with this decision because it required minimal cooking skills and it was quick. Double win!
- Bread, sliced
- Cheese, we used Gouda….because its “good-ah”<—cheesy humor!
- Eggs, 1-2 per sandwich depending on your hunger level, cooked over-medium
- Salami slices, 2-4 depending on your taste
- Avocado, we used 1/4-1/2 of an avocado per sandwich
- Salt, to taste
What to do:
- Heat frying pan over low to medium heat with 1 tsp of butter. Add eggs. Cook for a few minutes. Flip and cook a few more to desired doneness. Add cheese and remove from heat while you prepare the other ingredients. I prefer to cook my eggs to over-medium in this recipe because it’s not overly messy when you eat it.
- Toast your bread slices in the toaster and butter while hot.
- Slice your avocado in half. Remove seed. Slice.
- Start with one slice of buttered toast, add eggs and cheese, top with salami and avocado as desired. Sprinkle a little salt on top and finish it off with the other slice of bread.
Easy, right? Easy, quick and yummy…. that’s the tired mom’s trifecta right there 😉
Sorry, there’s no picture this time – we ate them too quickly to photograph, LOL!
The beauty of this recipe is that you can feed the entire family for less than $10!